Monday, December 13, 2010

New project abstract

Proposal Statement

How is digital fabrication renegotiating fine craft, from what could only once be described as priceless to a series of discrete mechanical processes? In this context how is the contemporary craftsperson defined?

Conceptual Investigation

What is digital “craft”? I want to explore the connections between the quantifiable digital elements and perceived notions of craftsmanship, maker, and creator. How must artists and designers redefine themselves as contemporary craftsman in the presence of automated prototyping/production/perfection? My research will also explore parallels with the early industrial revolution and the writings of its advocates and harshest critics. Within the broader context of art-making, I will use the development of the camera as a case study of technology necessitating conceptual renegotiation of artmaking (ie expressionism).

Final Form

Due to my prior work with process and meticulous attention to detail, it seems fitting that my explorations of contemporary craft should be two-fold: process and product. For the process portion I will design and construct a large scale 3d printer. In order to objectively examine what digital craft is, I must be able to remove myself from the physical process of making, while simultaneously gaining an intimate understanding of the digital elements at work. Many of the constraints I will use in the development of the Printer will be a direct result of the Product. Unlike available 3d printers, my design will utilize mortar to create a usable product, again in an effort to focus on the nature of craft. The final product will be a functional furniture object. I came to this decision because of the high level of interaction possible with a human-scale object, as well as the tactility and experience inherent with furniture. I will produce the same piece of furniture multiple times in an attempt to associate different digital qualities with the perceived notion of craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment