Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Design: Beyond "Pretty"

Carl and Max have an ongoing debate about design: is it a final step of of creating something, in essence the frill or finishing touches that make it"pretty", or does the design grow out of the act of making? Is it process or end result?
Design is both...and neither; it is a way of thinking. Over the past week, I have been becoming more and more frustrated with individuals who even after witnessing "The Future of Design" conference have a static definition of design.
I realize my way of thinking and practice of design are my own and no other's, but I find it completely unacceptable to work with anyone who wants to force their perception of design onto me, and worse yet, onto a group.
As a designer, I do not feel it is my duty to pick up the schizophrenic pieces of mechanisms and circuit boards and attempt to put them into a cohesive package. Worse yet, then make the package valid conceptually post-construction.

...

Rather than validate our efforts, this backwards process completely invalidates them. Beyond the end result, this practice is having disastrous effects on group cohesion. Without developing a key concept first, we have lost the "mental glue" that binds us together towards a common purpose.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with your first statement about the "ongoing debate" - perhaps a misattribution / misunderstanding of what I believe. To be clear, I think that "design is how it works," design is why the thing should exist in the first place, and that design is a process. I do NOT believe that design is a veneer.

    Having said that, it should be clear that I agree with your desire for a central idea / overall purpose to drive the design. But we must keep in mind that in a team setting, our interpersonal skills / manner may have as much to do as anything else with the failure of the group to converge on a coherent idea that could drive the design and make it effective.

    ReplyDelete